Welcome along to the latest summary article in ESC Views’ Pre-Contest Vote 2014! If you haven’t heard about it and how this entire system will work, feel free to click this fabulous link to take you to the ‘Launch Page’ of the competition. As we manage to compile more and more of these articles, they will be added to the Launch Page, so you can freely hop between all competing 37 entries! Right, shall we get onto the next country?
This is how we’re running this series of articles in which we’re going to cover all 37 entries for this year:
- We’re going to take on these articles in the running order for 2014 (Armenia is first, Latvia is second etc). We’ll do two articles a day.
- We’ll refer back to the Song Presentation or NF Review of the song. We’ll provide you with the video so you can have a listen (if you haven’t managed to listen to it yet…which is highly unlikely!)
- We’ll also give you a few words from both of us while giving the song a score out of 12.
- Finally, there’ll be a poll below for you guys to vote and give us your points on the song!
Got it? 🙂
Back on the launch page, you can catch up with all the countries we’ve covered so far, but today, I can barely contain my excitement because IT’S TIME FOR FINLAND!!!! *ahem. Calm. So, 2014 saw the third running of the national selection show UMK, which we loved so much, we decided to crown it the “Best overall national final” of 2014 in our NF awards! The final, featuring eight contestants (Jasmin Michaela sadly absent), resulted in a victory for young rock ensemble Softengine, with the song “Something Better” – video available to watch below:
Rory – It’s hard for anyone to follow an amazing act such as Krista, but it seems that Finland has done it! Of course, it would be best if Jasmine was going to Copenhagen, but I can put up with Softengine… let’s just hope Topi doesn’t scream at the audience like he did at UMK! Score: 6 points out of 12.
James – I freaking ADORE this song, and though twink rock isn’t my usual preferred genre, “Something Better” is actually my #1 in Eurovision 2014. And I promise you that has nothing to do with the lead singer’s face*. Honest. ^looks shifty^ Seriously though, this song is so anthemic, it’s the kind of thing that gives you shivers when you first hear it. Love it love it love it! Score: 12 points out of 12.
* – of course, if you ARE interested in Topi Latukka’s face, here’s his instagram. Many selfies. Have fun boys 😉
So now that you know what we think of the Finnish song, what do you think of it? Tell us by voting in the poll!
Did you vote? Well by the end of this series, we’ll know how many of you fans love/like/hate Finland’s song! In the meantime, though, stay tuned to ESC Views, as Rory’s getting all uncharacteristically patriotic with Ireland later tonight!
If you’d like to share your opinions on Finland’s song, please feel free to comment below or vote in the poll!